Ribeira Brava Municipality

“To the west, one league from Campanário, lies Ribeira Brava … The stream (ribeira) is so furious when it is full that is sometimes takes many houses and causes a lot of damage, because it comes from great  mountains and high hills, and it is for this reason they came to call it Brava (wild).”

Gaspar Frutuoso, 16th cent

Ribeira Brava is one of the oldest settlements of the island of Madeira, whose importance is due to the local terrain, where a stream cuts through that once ran with wild waters (águas bravas), hence the reason for calling the area Ribeira Brava. The source of the stream is at an elevation of 327 m, the waterway then running a distance of 8 km alongside the road that leads to Encumeada, an excellent starting point for unforgettable walks. This area has played an important role in the communication between various points of the island, especially with the interior by means of its harbour.  The municipality was created in 1914, being made up of the parishes of Campanário, Ribeira Brava (municipal seat), Serra d’Água and Tabua.

If you have any question, please contact here.

Carlos Verdinho
Home :: Municipalities :: Ribeira Brava